Okay. I just have to
refudiate refute some things I’ve seen on Facebook that prove that nobody, like, does, any like, f***ing research(1) regarding the Chick-Fil-A controversy.
First, let’s explain what’s going on. Chick-Fil-A founder and president S. Truett Cathy has come under fire for donating over five million dollars over the past decade to Anti-LGBT organizations (2). Answering as “guilty as charged” to operating under “the Biblical definition of the family unit” (3)
So, let’s clear a few things up here just from those two sentences alone.
- This is more than just “Some conservative making anti-gay statements”
- He has confirmed his discriminatory practices
- There is money involved.
I cannot stress that last point. Money from Cathy’s non for profit organization, WinShape, was donating money to these organizations (4). This money had to come from somewhere, which is why there is a boycott going on.
Some people who still support Chick-Fil-A claim that they support the organization on the grounds of “supporting free speech” and waive of protesters with “the first amendment”. I’ve seen it all over Facebook. Let’s first start with the incorrect use of the first amendment. The purpose behind it was to prevent government censorship of citizens, allowing them to criticize the government. I’m not going to cite this because this is basic American civics. So, let’s look at what’s going on here.
Things that are involved in the first amendment
- The rights of citizens in relation to the government
Things that are not in the first amendment
- Fast food restaurants
- The response of citizens in relation to discriminatory actions.
Are we clear on that? If not, let’s put it another way. The first amendment gives you the right to say what you want and defends you from government censorship. It does not defend you from someone else using their first amendment right to criticize how you’re using your first amendment right and criticize your actions (5). It also says nothing about where people should and shouldn’t spend their money.
Nobody involved in the boycott is trying to censor Cathy. He can say what he wants and most of the people involved in the movement won’t try to stop him. They’re obviously not forcing people to avoid chick-fil-a, as they still have supporters. They’re just not going to his restaurant, which they are well within their right to do.
Because believe it or not, the LGBT+ community and its allies have the first amendment right, too.
- For those of you non-StarKid followers, that’s a reference to a Darren Criss quote.
- If you don’t know what that phrase means get out from under your rock and go see the world. Also thank you for making my blog the main website for your rock. also (Statement source)
- This was mentioned in previous sources. I’m too lazy to find a new one.
- Unless they’re lying. However, since all of the information against Chick-Fil-A is verifiable, I’m not going to go into that.